Below is a list of benefits of different talents in Mythic+ as well as general choices that apply to most if not all dungeons. In general we do not change our talents based on affixes.
Zeal is the best all around choice.
- Zeal: Best all around choice.
- Righteous Verdict: is outclassed by Zeal and Execution Sentence
- Execution Sentence: Strong priority damage if needed and does not suffer heavily in AoE.
Hammer of Wrath is the best all around choice.
- Fires of Justice: sims well but is slightly deceptive. Some of the benefit of this talent is the reduced CD of Crusader Strike which can be lost when running between packs or more frequent use of utility. It is still a good choice if you prefer it.
- Blade of Wrath: is also a good talent and does not require as much "effort" as Hammer of Wrath.
- Hammer of Wrath: is a very strong talent especially when you have a Light's Decree Azerite trait. Sims will not accurately reflect how strong HoW can be due to real dungeon scenarios having mobs at staggered health levels causing you to get additional casts off. This talent does require you to closely pay attention to surrounding mobs to see if you can hit them with HoW..
Fist of Justice is the safe all around choice.
- Fist of Justice: has great all around use as stuns are always useful and this provides us more frequent access to Hammer of Justice.
- Repentance: can be used as a backup Crowd Control if needed.
- Blinding Light: is also all around beneficial and works as an AoE interrupt. Can also stop uninterruptible casts as it is a disorient.
Wake of Ashes is the best all around choice.
- Divine Judgment: Nope.
- Consecration: frequent moving and kiting we devalue this trait. Mobs dying while it is active will also reduce its value.
- Wake of Ashes: strong upfront damage and HP generation. Effective stun in Atal'Dazar, King's Rest, and The Underrot.
Unbreakable Spirit is the best all around choice.
- Cavalier: can be beneficial if you find you need more mobility.
- Unbreakable Spirit: cooldown reduction on our defensives is very strong given the length of Mythic+ runs and high damage sections.
- Eye for an Eye: niche usage. Physical damage is mostly avoidable or severe enough to warrant Divine Shield.
Word of Glory is the best all around choice.
- Selfless Healer: if you're truly lazy and greedy (Guilty as charged.) you can run with this.
- Justicar's Vengeance: No.
- Word of Glory: strong targetable AoE heal.
Divine Purpose is the safest all around choice.
- Divine Purpose: due to the length of a Mythic+ the RNG averages out fairly well compared to a short Raid encounter.
- Crusade: can be powerful in well organized groups with pre-planned routes that line up.
- Inquisition: can be a very effective choice. It also requires the most effort and knowledge to use. Its usage will not mirror a raid encounter. You have to track when you refresh based on how long a pack is going to last and if you do refresh need to determine the optimal amount of HP to be used. In some cases a pack might be dying so soon and the next pack will take a moment to reach it is best to not refresh until the next pack.
Light's Decree is our all around best choice in Mythic+. In raid we only tend to want 1 but in Mythic+ having 3 is very beneficial due to large amounts of AoE. In some cases it might be worth dropping item level but you will need to sim your character.
Empyrean Power is mandatory to have 1. You also do not want more than 1. It is very likely if you do not have access to EP a lower item level piece with EP will sim higher.
Avenger's Might further increases our burst orientated damage pattern.
There are other traits that can be beneficial but the ones listed above are our best option. Please refer to the AoE Azerite Trait Ratings chart on the main guide for a general idea or sim your own character for personalized results.
Vision of Perfection is the safest all around choice for your Major Essence. It provides a large amount burst when it procs in AoE due to guaranteed Divine Storm crit combined with potentially having 3x Light's Decree. If you do not pick this as your Major make sure to pick it as a Minor. You would replace the Essence at the bottom of the suggestions listed.
Blood of the Enemy can be a strong choice in well organized groups with pre-planned routes that line up.
Breath of the Dying can be a powerful choice as a Major with frequent access to the reduced cooldown. As a Minor it is a must have.
Essence of the Focusing Iris can be a good choice in unorganized PUGs. Pull in these groups tend to be more random. Don't use it during Wings. In organized play this will not be a good choice.
Memory of Lucid Dreams(Minor) is another strong Minor Essence that should always be taken.
Conflict and Strife(Minor) can be a strong Minor if you do not frequently drop stacks.
There are a wide variety of trinkets available for use to use. In most cases you will end up having 1 On-Use Trinket that lines up with our Vision of Perfection reduced cooldown Avenging Wrath/Crusade such as Vial of Animated Blood which is our best choice and then either a passive trinket such as Gorecrusted Butcher's Block or an On-Use damage trinket such as Razdunk's Big Red Button. More information is provided below.
Ashvane's Razor Coral is a strong choice in either trinket slot assuming it does not get nerfed. The best way to use this in Mythic+ is on low HP mobs about to die or just use on CD. Even with this modified usage it is incredibly strong.
Writhing Segment of Drest'agath is a strong On-Use damage trinket available from Ny'alotha, The Waking City.
Humming Black Dragonscale is a strong passive trinket available from Ny'alotha, The Waking City.
Vita-Charged Titanshard is another strong passive trinket available from Ny'alotha, The Waking City.
Please review the AoE Trinket Ratings Chart on the main guide for additional trinket choices and as always make sure to sim your own character.
Running 39 Corruption or less in Mythic+ is very manageable. If you find you struggle with it swap out some Corrupted gear. If you're confident you can always run higher corruption as well. With access to the Corruption Vendor you will likely find that Ineffable Truth and Masterful are the most desirable corruptions. Please refer to the charts on the main guide for more information. Always make sure to sim yo self as well.
Currently DungeonSlice is the best overall option that we have for simming as a Ret Paladin. You will frequently see other Class Discords say to avoid DungeonSlice. And that advice is generally true for those specific classes. They tend to have a lot more conditions based on numbers of nearby targets in their rotations. DungeonSlice is a bit more Single Target and small pack orientated. This causes the SimC to not fully represent the larger pulls that can occur and provide a substantial increase in damage or gear selection. Ret has the benefit of not being overly complicated. All we care about is if there is 2 targets which allows use to cast Divine Storm.
HecticAddCleave is the other sim that you will see commonly used. It is much more AoE focused. HecticAddCleave has its own set of problems however. Even though it is more AoE focused you are always attacking a Main target with 5 adds frequently spawning. This causes Damage over Time, Bleed effects, and stat procs to end up overvalued. They will almost always apply to your primary target and not the adds that are dying off. In a Mythic+ environment these effects will frequently be applied to low health mobs that die before the effect had a significant duration, and with stat procs they could occur at the end of a pack and be wasted getting to the next one.
DungeonSlice helps to address these concerns. It starts off with you fighting a single Boss which then goes invulnerable. Invulnerable targets will not be attacked in the sim. Then at different intervals small add groups will spawn. There can be downtime between these packs and all the normal Bleeds, DoTs, and procs will occur. In general you will end up seeing procs being valued higher than Bleeds, and DoTs.
Occasionally you will see the Single Target profile make an odd suggestion. The most notable was Condensed Life Force showing as the best Essence for a large number of people. In practice this is one of the worst choices in a Mythic+ environment due to its long cooldown and not easily being lined up with Avenging Wrath/Crusade causing additional uses to be lost through a real dungeon causing further devaluation.
TL;DR is that DungeonSlice is perfectly acceptable in most situations. Every sim has it positives and negatives. Overall the Single Target and small pack focus of DungeonSlice will more appropriately model the standard PUG which tend to have more small scattered pulls rather than larger pulls in organized groups.
What do I run for XYZ affixes?
The same thing you always run. As mentioned above we don't change based on affixes.
Should I ever delay Wake of Ashes?
If you're at the tail end of a pack with a single mob left that will die shortly it can be beneficial to save Wake of Ashes for the next pull. If you're fighting multiple mobs that will die shortly and the next pull is a boss it can also be beneficial to save Wake of Ashes for the boss.
In most cases you want to use Avenging Wrath/Crusade as often as possible. You should ensure that when you do press Wings that the pack you're fighting will not die soon. You want to get maximum benefit from the window. If your current pull is not dangerous but your next pull is deadly you would want to delay Wings for the deadly pack. The same applies to if a Boss is the next pull. If your current pack will not last long or is extremely easy you should delay Wings for the Boss.